The following is a paid advertisement. The Manitoba Psychological Society does not necessarily endorse any service or educational opportunity advertised.
Clinical Psychologist (PhD)
Forensic Sexual Behaviour Program,
Mental Health and Addictions Program
Nova Scotia Health
Nova Scotia Health is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia, with some specialized services also offered to clients throughout Atlantic Canada. We’re on a mission to achieve excellence in health, healing and learning through working together, which is reflected in the hospitals, health centres and community-based programs we operate across the province. Our passionate team of professionals provides a variety of high-quality inpatient and outpatient services including academic, tertiary, and quaternary care, as well as continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions. Join a diverse team of innovators, collaborators and creative thinkers today.
Nova Scotia Health employs professionals in all corners of our beautiful province. We believe there’s a place here for everyone to call home, from vibrant cities with exuberant nightlife to quaint towns with picturesque trails. The work-life balance that comes with an Nova Scotia Health role means you’ll have the time to explore, discover, and participate in that coveted Atlantic lifestyle. Visit us today and check out www.novascotia.com to see why more people from across the globe are moving here.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Health Services Manager, and under the clinical direction of the Clinical Lead to ensure the effective provision of empirically supported assessment and treatment services to adults who have crossed legal sexual boundaries. The Forensic Sexual Behaviour Program (FSBP) offers specialized assessment and treatment services to individuals in Nova Scotia whose sexual behavior has crossed legal boundaries. Treatment is currently being offered in four Health Zones across the province (groups located in Kentville, Dartmouth, Truro and Sydney), whereas assessment is primarily centralized in Dartmouth where the coordination of FSBP services for the province is based.
The duties of the clinical psychologist (PhD) include program development activities, research, prevention initiatives, sexual recidivism risk/need assessment, and/or the facilitation of specialized group treatment as well as involvement in team meetings. While court testimony is infrequent, it is a potential aspect of any work conducted at the FSBP. In addition, duties will also include participation in the predoctoral internship program and supervision of practicum students.
Independence will be both expected and encouraged while ensuring that all services are provided in accordance with CPA & NSBEP ethical standards and practice guidelines for Psychologists, the provincial standards of the FSBP, the principles and practices of NS Health, and relevant legislature.
• Recognized PhD/PsyD in Clinical Psychology from an accredited university program
• Registered or eligible for registration with the Nova Scotia Board of Examiners in Psychology (NSBEP)
• Minimum of two years related clinical experience with experience in a forensic setting, particularly with sexual offenders, preferred
• Minimum of two years research experience
• Knowledge and experience with the use of recidivism risk assessment tools
• Knowledge and experience with psychometric tests addressing personality and deception
• Demonstrated skills in DSM diagnosis
• Expertise commensurate with the ability to provide expert witness testimony if subpoenaed
• Knowledge regarding PPG assessment
• Demonstrated ability to work with antisocial, personality disordered, and oppositional populations
• Demonstrated ability to address ethical decisions on a regular basis addressing client rights and risk to the community
• Demonstrated ability to work with counterparts from other disciplines in an effective, collaborative manner designed to optimize outcomes (e.g., DCS, DOJ)
• Competencies in other languages is an asset, French or Mi’kmaq preferred
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information
• Permanent Full Time (100%) position; 75 hours biweekly (part time opportunity also available)
What We Offer:
- Up to $10,000 in signing bonuses available
- Up to $5000 in relocation expenses
- Competitive compensation
- Enrollment in the Provincial Pension Plan
- Continuous Clinical Education & Support
Click here to apply: